5.26.2010

Day 1:Yoga

"And start with three exhale's, each time saying the word "om"."

So I did. 

New Thing of Day 1: Yoga

Basically, to be quite honest, I've done yoga before. But not in a long time. And not in the morning. And not with my cat, helping...actually, not really helping. The "new" part is that I'm going to TRY to do it every morning. We'll see how that goes. I just found a class on YouTube (which is a website that I love, quite honestly). Here is the link, in case you're inspired and want to check it out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xctBhj7TVc

I was sititng in some pose that is called something I cannot pronounce, but I think of it as the "indian style pose" or the "criss cross applesauce pose", because that's all it is. I was sitting on my nice new green yoga mat, with my legs crossed and my hands resting on my knees, breathing deeply, listining to the fan that was spinning madly in the ridiculously hot air, and trying not to think about how stupid I sounded saying "Om."
(I thought about just skipping it, I mean really...who would know? but if you're going to do something, I figure you'd better do it all the way)

And then my cat, George, pictured here with my new green yoga mat and flip flops:

decided to come and join me. He likes my yoga mat, apparently. I ignored him, and concentrated on "my breathing", and he just walked in circles around me, trying to get my attention and rubbed himself against my hands to try to get me to pet him. When that didnt work, he flopped into cobra pose and proceeded to claw my knees. I then proceeded to focus on my breathing while throwing him out the door and shutting it, before returning to whatever Indian style pose I was in before.

While nearing the end of the morning yoga practice (I believe I was in Proud Warrior pose), an ant crawled onto my mat, so naturally, I brushed him off, accidently ripping one of his legs off and causing him to squirm...you know, the way that bugs do when you accidently squish them that makes you feel HORRIBLE and like a bloodthirsty, uncaring murderer. Yeah, that way. So I got out of Proud Warrior and grabbed a box of graham crackers (which just happened to be the first thing I saw) and put him out of his misery,  and then jumped back into Proud Warrior without missing a breath.
   Somehow I dont think that yoga and killing ants correlate, exactly.

Long story short, yoga actually did feel very good, besides the cat part and the ant part. It didnt hurt too badly, and I actually felt more calm, although I can never sit through the whole meditation part at the end. I always just start thinking of things I need to do, and then go and do them.

After Yoga, because it is such a ridiculously hot day, I got myself a glass of ice water, feeling very calm and poised and centered after my 42 minute class (minus the meditation). And then I broke the glass all over the floor, so I had to vaccuum it up while yelling at my dog to stay out of the kitchen, much to his dismay.  Maybe skipping the meditation part gave me bad karma.
Days Left: 97   Posts Left: 98

No comments:

Post a Comment